Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tubing Essay


There is always that one place that appeals to you, whether it is shady tree to read a book under or even something just as simple as sitting by a lakeshore with your friends. To me, my favorite place to be in Nebraska is tubing on the Niobrara River with my friends during the summertime. I feel the rush of cool water as it hits me with little force. The cold knocks me out but pulls me back in. The golden sun is beating down on by tanned skin and on the azure water. Sparkling like a million diamonds the water, calm and peaceful is interrupted by my friends and our feet.
         When I first get out of the car, I smell pine trees and fresh air. It hits me like a whirlwind. The water is softly rippling down the weaved ways. I put my tube in and start my journey. Who knows where it will end. The cool sand from the bed is running through my toes like a race. It tickles, really bad due to the fact that my feet are ticklish. The splashing of the water on the rocks and the giggles of Allison, Haley, and Emily makes this moment in time unforgettable.
         I am now floating. The tube is leaning and rocking every which way. My hair, wet from falling in and swimming and my new purple bathing suit is now stuck to my skin. The water is like sweat, on my pores and my hair. My friends are beside me, pushing me in, but I guess I deserve it. I have pushed them so many times that I lost count. The sun, now on top of me in the clear blue sky, I realize it is about noontime. I grab a quick snack and head back out. It is now three o’clock. We are still racing until the sun has met its bed.
         The tube has droplets of water stuck to its surface and I have gallons of water all over me. The splashing has now turned to gliding in a split second. I hop out of the water and bundle up in a towel. I look at the water, a glittering turquoise which was once covered by sunlight has now turned to black with speckles of stars in it; a mirror reflection of the sky. I, tired from the day sadly walk back to the car and leave. “This is what I needed. A day of relaxing.” My friends laugh and laugh until their sides hurt. I then look back and see the glittering water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment