Friday, January 11, 2013

Descriptive Essay- Butterfly Necklace


Glimmering turquoise pool, young kids with their bright new swimming suits jumping off the edge. Who doesn’t love summer? All of you friends are there. New suits, tanning oil, and sunscreen, ahhh… the smell of sunscreen. But for me, this summer was different.
         It was a bright sunny June day at the pool. Small town with a lot of kids at the pool. Haley had told me in the rainy days of April she was moving in June. The move came like it was a track race. We were jumping into what felt like cold water due to the heat. Eventually, her mom came to pick us up to go and help pack their belongings that would be sent to Sioux Falls the next day. We had finally arrived to the what now seemed like a desolate grey house, where when we were younger, we imagined it was a castle. There was nothing left in the small house after everything had been shoved and jammed into the cardboard boxes.  After the packing was done and everything was in various sizes of boxes, time was ticking for our last couple of hours together.
         We walked to the colorful Kiddie Park and went on every ride possible. There she gave me a beautiful butterfly necklace with the word “friend” embedded into its silver lining. She had the “best” to it. With the rosy pink and the soft blue glistening stones, it made it look like it wanted to break free from the chain and fly away to the golden sunshine. It looked like it was sad, but I knew that it was for me, made for me I guess. We gloomily walked back past the sweet flowers filled with nectar for the buzzing bees.
         At her house, we decided to make one last lap around her house in a slow pace. My mom came to pick me up and that was it. Goodbye to my first best friend and hello to a new life. No, that’s not it. More like goodbye to my first best friend. I will miss you so much. I looked at the necklace and it looked back at me as if meaning to whisper ever so sweetly in my ear, “You will be fine. I am here for you.”        
Tears trickled down my face, leaving salty wet trails down my cheeks. I had lost her and she will never come back. Friends are like bees and they can sometimes be like sparkling butterflies. They will come back if they wish, but sometimes they can’t because of the intriguing flowers that are holding them captive there. The butterfly had flown to a new beginning in the roses and wasn’t coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment